Flossing prior to brushing your teeth is actually a better practice. Flossing before you brush helps removes food and plaque from between your teeth which permits fluoride from your toothpaste to work better. However, flossing prior to or after brushing teeth, is normally best for your teeth.

Should I Floss More Than Once a Day?

For most people flossing once a day is sufficient to maintain healthy gums and fresh breath. Flossing less than once a day can result in food remaining trapped in your gums and could eventually result in less healthy gum or teeth issues. If you have areas that frequently trap foods you would need to floss those areas more often, especially just after eating. Food that remains trapped between teeth may lead to tooth cavities.

What Type of Floss Should You Use?

There are many types of floss available, just be sure to select what works for you and use it daily. Try to find a type that does not shred when guiding between teeth. There are also interdental brushes available for those larger spaces between your teeth. The brushes normally clean these areas better than just flossing. Another option is to use a waterpik water flosser, but just be aware they can be messy and spray water in your bathroom.

What Types of Floss Should I Avoid?

The type of floss you chose to use depends on personal preferences. Try different types, some are waxed for easier insertion between teeth, some are flavored, everyone has a preferred type of floss. Avoid using toothpicks instead of flossing, as it can cause more damage than good.

What are the Benefits of Flossing?

Routine flossing on a regular schedule results in better oral health. While brushing regularly cleans about 60% of tooth surface, adding flossing will help reach the other 40% of tooth and gum surface. You’ll probable notice less bleeding if you follow a regular routine of daily flossing.
Taking care of your oral health can help you avoid gum disease which has been linked to many health issues including diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer.

Can I Make Myself Floss?

Bad habits are hard to break and good habits are hard to form! It’s important to follow a regular schedule to create a good habit of flossing daily. Try to floss every day at the same time, either just before bed, first thing in the morning, or even early afternoon if that works for you. Make a note for yourself and put it on the bathroom mirror or near your toothbrush to remind yourself to floss.

Can I Floss with Braces?

The easiest way to floss with braces is using a waterpik water flosser. If this is not an option for you, try some superfloss which has a rigid end that can be slipped into small holes. Another option is floss threaders that you tread between teeth with minimal effort.

If you experience pain or a lot of blood when flossing, don’t hesitate to contact your dental care professional to get examined!

Contact Us (859-689-1105) For More Information or to Make an Appointment!

–​

About Tri-State Family Dentistry

Tri-State Family Dentistry is dedicated to providing the highest quality dental care possible. Being privately owned since 2009, we don’t experience the corporate pressure that other dental practices have to hit certain revenue numbers. You will never be ‘sold’ dentistry at Tri-State Family Dentistry. After we explain your treatment options, you can make your own decisions.